Many moons ago, before Covid, I booked to take part in the Dovedale Dipper, a twenty six mile, undulating, walk around Dovedale in the Peak District.
The event was postponed until this year with the revised date set for this coming Saturday.
As I’ve been spending a lot of time on the bike, recently, instead of walking, I haven’t done anywhere near the mileage training for The Dipper.
Originally, signed up for the full distance, I have lowered my expectations and changed my entry to what the organisers call the Little Dipper at only fifteen miles. The organisers are keen to point out that I will not miss out on the best hills !
I haven’t given the walk a lot of thought but decided now was was time to get up to speed so checking my emails I found all the intel I need.
First off, the parking needs to be booked in advance (although I can pay in CASH on the day).
There are staggered starts with walkers for the Little Dipper able to start, en-masse, at 11:00 or earlier at any time after 10:05. The first checkpoint is at four miles and doesn’t open until 11:15 so a start around 10:15 should see me arrive just after the CP opens. I have had to go on line to book the early start and although I’ve missed the deadline for requests, hopefully I can start early – I’ll find out at registration, I suppose.
There is a mandatory kit list comprising …
- Emergency bivi bag or space blanket
- Magnetic compass
- Map(s) covering the whole area of the route (Ordnance Survey or Harvey 1:25k scale preferred, 1:50k is the minimum requirement)
- Appropriate clothing for the challenge and weather conditions
- Appropriate footwear (trail shoes recommended, or walking boots for hikers)
- Waterproof jacket, with hood and taped seams
- Emergency food (at least 400 calories)
- Drinks bottles and/or hydration pack to carry a minimum of 0.5 litre of fluid
- Fully charged mobile phone (with waterproof cover or bag)
With no rain forecast and a temperature of twenty degrees on the books, the waterproof jacket seems a little over the top but I’ll do as I’m told. I may have to use my Raidlight pack to get it all in.
The venue is about an hour and a half away so I reckon that I’ll need to leave home before 07:30.