Llamas and Lightning

Monday evenings are becoming family walk night with recent outings to Shustoke and Kingsbury Water Park.

With a limited cast of four, today saw us return to Shustoke reservoir.

After parking the car in the reservoir’s parking area (and paying our quid) we walked out of the site and after a short walk back along the road headed off across a field of rape seed.

After two fields we had reached a bridge over the River Bourne. This is the waterway that feeds the nearby Shustoke reservoir which in turn supplies drinking water to Atherstone and Bedworth. The river, in total, is just over ten miles long and flows into the Tame nearby.

It was at this point that I remembered to start my watch!

My young grandson was pleased as a train shot past us on our approach to a bridge over the railway line which was taken to Colin Teall Wood. There is very little information about this small wooded area but I have discovered that it was willed to the council in 1996 by, you guessed it, Colin Teall. Cheers Colin.

Image result for colin teal wood

From the end of the path, through the wood, another path, part of The Centenary Way, was taken to the confluence of many tracks. We chose the one that went through a field obviously populated by horses although none were in evidence tonight.

As we continued along a track we did see some horses, in adjacent fields, including this one who trotted over and we treated with some long grass.

After feeding and stroking the horse, we pushed on under darkening skies towards a field full of animals of a different kind.

I knew what was coming up but it was a total surprise for my young grandson as we came across a field of alpacas.

We spent a few minutes here but with the sky getting increasingly darker and hearing the occasional rumble of thunder we decided to make our way back to the car.

Passing a field of sheep (we’re seeing all sorts tonight) we were soon back to the path junction and took a path towards the interestingly named Dingle Lane.

As we reached Dingle Lane the heavens opened and down came the rain. Luckily a kissing gate, opposite, was sheltered under a big bush so that’s where we stood until we thought that the worst of the rain had passed.

During what turned out to be a lull, we made a dash over a small hill and back to the railway.

Walking alongside the railway, I had planned to cross the Bourne via a large fallen tree. However, on arrival the log was quite wet and slippery.

Two of the party managed to cross over with the other two deciding not to chance it.

The two parties continued along both banks of the river meeting up about three quarters of a mile further on. A short walk across another field brought us, soggily, back to the car.

Wet coats were thrown in the boot, the engine started and the demisters switched on.

We treated ourselves to fish and chips on the way back.

For me it was a nice and easy four miles recovery walk. The others will laugh about it later – I hope.


Leave a Reply