Two Thousand Miles

Last modified date

Comments: 0

With mother out of hospital and back home, there was little time for walks after work until my Birthday on Thursday.

Up early, I had a small breakfast before walking to work using the most direct ( non-muddy ) route of just under six and a half miles. Being my birthday, I treated myself to a big slap-up breakfast at work.

Luckily, it was a fairly quiet day, work-wise, so I was full of energy for a post-graft walk to my favourite watering hole.

This way

Leaving the airport, I left the busy A45 behind and after walking towards Elmdon Park I headed cross-country towards Bickenhill. As a few days earlier, I had some difficulty locating the footpath and had to do a bit of a backtracking. 

From Bickenhill, I followed the same paths as I did on the Solihull Green Man walk, albeit in reverse. From  Hampton-in-Arden, I walked alongside the road to the outskirts of Meriden ( one of the many centres of England ). 

The next two and a half miles were very uninspiring comprising of a busy, unlit road with no pavement. Luckily, I was well illuminated.

At Maxstoke, I left the tarmac behind me and followed a good path through the interestingly named Dumble Wood before the path degenerated into a gooey slog – and it wasn’t just mud !

I arrived at The Griffin after three and a bit hours or thirteen and a half miles. The lower half of me was a bit wet and dirty but I was still welcomed into the boozer.

Shortly after my arrival, my other half turned up with a bag of cards and gifts. The cards were arranged on the table much to the amusement of the clientele. 

Surprisingly, the following day, I was up and out of the house by six for a wake-up walk to work. After work, I returned home via a slightly longer route taking in another bit of the Solihull Green Man route. After a few hundred yards into this walk, I reached a milestone of having walked two thousand miles this year !


Saturday afternoon found me walking a loop of east Birmingham taking in a wood ( Yorkswood ), a river ( Cole ) and a few canals ( Grand Union, Birmingham & Fazeley ) clocking up another twenty miles.

To round off the week, I took my fairly regular walk to that pub ( again ) bringing the weekly milage to sixty six miles.

For the first time in weeks, I think that I may be finally over the cold ( man-flu ) as the later walks felt a lot easier and my pace is getting back to where it was.

Leave a Reply