With a new job, new phone and a holiday, I won’t say that I’d forgotten about the walk but it wasn’t the most important thing on my mind. With only THREE DAYS to go, it’s started to sink in and I suppose that I had better get things ready !
I’ve been in touch with the B & B for Saturday night and can leave my car on the drive there when I go down on Friday to pick up the key. The it’s onto the train(s) for London and the Jury’s Inn, Chelsea. The hotel is only a mile or so from Putney Bridge and I can pick up my entrants’ pack on Friday evening saving me time on Saturday. Then it’s a relaxing evening and early to bed.
Stuff that I need to take with me on the actual walk include…
- The clothes & shoes that I’ll be walking in, plus…
- Soft Shell top
- Spare Socks
- The all important Vaseline
- Compeed ( Blister treatment )
- Head torch & spare batteries ( 3 )
- Garmin GPS loaded with route map & spare batteries ( 2 )
- Small front & rear cycle lights ( for walking along roads at night )
- Cereal bars
- First aid kit
- Camelback ( full )
- Phone & battery packs ( 2 ) including lead
- Headphones ( sports and standard ‘in-ear’ types )
- Keys ( car and B&B )
Anything that I need for Friday evening / night that I don’t need to carry will be dropped off at the start and transported to the finish by the organisers.
I’ve been out for what should have been an easy, slowish walk tonight but ended up going like the clappers – but hey, it felt good. Bumped into the Centurion Running Club at the end of my walk for a quick chat before meeting Sue at the sports’ centre.
Tomorrow, I’ll be taking my grandson, Alfie, for a training walk of around two miles in preparation for HIS sponsored walk of seven miles on Sunday. That’s a long way for his little legs !